The 1st Annual “Big Strick Classic” (formerly the “Franchise Classic”) Memorial high school basketball game will be held on Saturday, August 11, 2012 at Nat Holman Gym at City College on 138th Street and Convent Avenue in Manhattan, New York. The game is a memorial to the legendary streetball player John “Franchise” Strickland, featuring some of the top high school players from around the country, as the USA team, against the top players from the NYC Tri-state area as NYC team. We covered inaugural Franchise Class last summer, and this year looks to feature even more elite high school talent from across the country (and Canada).
Stay tuned for more coverage of the event on SLAMonline.com. For now, here is some info about the event, followed by the rosters for both teams, courtesy of our friends at BigStrickClassic.com:
The admission to the game is free and open to the public. There will be free giveaways for fans. This game is sponsored by Bounce Apparel, Left Hand, Right Hand, LLC., The Rock Basketball, Stack Media and SLAM Magazine.
First, the players will be at Rucker Park during the afternoon of Friday, August 10, 2012, for a workout and press day which will be open to the public. The night of Friday, August 10, 2012, the players will scrimmage at a secret location in Harlem, which will be revealed two weeks before the game. Also, former NBA All-Star Dale Davis has graciously accepted our invitation to “school” the players with his company Pro Players Holding, which will present multiple life skill training sessions thru innovative structures as it relates to health, wealth, lifestyle and culture from past to current athletes and how to manage your career. Lenny Cooke will also be there to tell the players his story. Other special guests to be announced!!!!
On Saturday, August 11, 2012, before the game the players will be treated to a tour of New York City earlier in the day. Then, they will head up to City College. The doors open at 5:30 PM and the admission is FREE. The players will also participate in a dunk contest sponsored by SLAM Magazine and a 3-point shootout sponsored by The Rock Basketball.
Remember Brand Jordan is gone, Elite 24 is gone. The Big Strick Classic gives the New York area basketball fan a chance to see these up and coming stars in person. Were you there when LeBron played against Lenny Cooke? We’re bringing the players to you, you don’t want to miss this event!! Just look at the rosters and you’ll see what we mean.
For more information, please visit: www.bigstrickclassic.com
Or contact Don Sparks 646-247-8100
The Big Strick Classic
Saturday, August 11I 2012 @ Nat HoIman Gym at City College at 138th Street and Convent Avenue in Manhattan, New York.
Free Admission. Doors open @ 5:30, Game starts @ 6 PM.
“Team New York” (10 Players). Two Weeks Before the Event we will add the rest of the roster.
- Isaiah Whitehead—NYC—Class of 2014—G—#17 on Rivals
- Chris McCullough—NYC—Class of 2014—PF—#6 on Max Preps
- Dakari Johnson—NYC—Class of 2014—PF/C—#4 on Scout
- Terrence Samuel—NYC—Class of 2013—G—#89 on Rivals
- Anthony Barber—Virginia—Class of 2013—PG—#9 on Rivals
- Noah Vonleh—Mass—Class of 2014—PF—#2 on Rivals
- Troy Williams—Virginia—Class of 2013—F—#17 on Max Preps
- Jaron Sina—NJ—Guard—Class of 2013—G—#47 on Max Preps
- Emmanuel Mudiay—Texas—Class of 2014—G—#5 on Rivals
- Jared Terrell—Mass—Class of 2014—G—#21 on Scout
Coaches: Dwayne “Tiny” Morton & Dave Britton
USA Players (10 players). Two Weeks Before the Event we will add the rest of the roster.
- Andrew Wiggins–Canada—Class of 2014—SF—#1 on Rivals
- Andrew Harrison–Texas—Class of 2013—PF—#3 on Rivals
- Aaron Harrison—Texas—Class of 2013—SG—#4 on Rivals
- Jabari Bird—California—Class of 2013—SG—#12 on Max Preps
- Robert Hubbs—Tenn—Class of 2013—F—#11 on Rivals
- Tyler Ennis—Canada—Class of 2013—G—#20 on Rivals
- Sindarius Thornwell—Va—Class of 2013—G—#19 on Scout
- Jordan Mickey—Texas—Class of 2013—PF—#21 on Scout
- Marcus Lovett, Jr—California—Class of 2015—G—#5 on ESPN
- Malik Price Martin—Florida—Class of 2013—PF—#59 on Rivals
Coaches: Aaron Harrison & Tony Mclntyre
Player Selection Criteria: Players were selected using the average aggregate rankings from the following rating authorities: Rivals, ESPN, Maxpreps, 5-Star and Scout.com.
We also looked at: Performance in a players High School Season and in AAU games, Character and sportsmanship, The excitement level of a player or what we call the “Strick Factor”.