The 2nd Annual “Big Strick Classic” (formerly the Franchise Classic), arguably the best high school basketball showcase in the country, will be held on Saturday, August 10, 2013 at The Gauchos Gym, at 478 Gerard Avenue in Bronx, New York.
The high-octane even, held in remembrance of legendary streetball player John “Franchise” Strickland, features some of the top high school players from around the country; a collection of national talent—the USA Team—will go against the top players from the Tri-State area—the NYC East Team. We exclusively covered the inaugural Franchise Class in 2011, and the inaugural Big Strick Classic last summer. This year, the event looks to feature even more elite high school talent from all corners and neighborhoods of the nation.
The admission to the game is free and open to the public. There will be free giveaways for fans. This game is sponsored by SLAM Magazine, The Rock Basketball, Left Hand, Right Hand, LLC., Metal Sales, Co., Facade Technology and Protégé Sneakers.
Stay tuned for more coverage of the event on SLAMonline.com—we will be there every step of the way. For now, here is some info about the event, followed by the rosters for both teams, courtesy of our friends at the Big Strick Classic:
PRESS RELEASE 7/30/13
First, the players will be at the Gauchos Gym at 10 AM on Friday, August 9, 2013, for “special” guest speakers, a workout and press day which will be open to the public.
From 1:30-4:30, we will hold “Media Day” at Colonel Young Park. The players will be made available for interviews during that period. If it rains “Media Day” will be held at the Gauchos Gym. Then at 6 PM Friday, August 9, 2013, the players will scrimmage at Dyckman Park,. The players will also participate in a dunk contest sponsored by Slam Magazine and a 3-point shootout sponsored by The Rock Basketball.
On Saturday, August 10, 2013, early in the day the players will be treated to a tour of New York City. Then, will arrive at the Gauchos Gym at 4:30. The doors open at 5:15 and the game will tip off at 6PM and the admission is FREE.
Once again, we’re bringing some of the best the players in the country to the Big Apple. You don’t want to miss this event!! Just look at the roster on the next page and you’ll see what we mean. For more information, go to: www.bigstrickclassic.com Or contact Don Sparks 646-247-8100.
The Big Strick Classic
Friday, August 9, 2013@ Dyckman Park, 204th Street and Nagle Avenue in Manhattan, New York 10034(rain site The Gauchos Gym) Free Admission
Doors open @ 5:30, Game starts @ 6 PM
Saturday, August 11, 2012@ The Gauchos Gym, 478 Gerard Avenue in the Bronx, New York 10451
Doors open @ 5:30, Game starts @ 6 PM
2013 Big Strick Classic Roster
1. Isaac Copeland – SF/PF Brewster Academy, in New Hampshire, from NC. Ranked in the top 35 for the class of 2014. Projects to be a future NBA draft pick. Committed to Georgetown University.
2. Jalen Lindsey – SF- Huntington Prep, West Virginia, from Nashville TN. Ranked in the top 25 for the Class of 2014. Projects to be a future NBA draft pick. Committed to Providence College.
3. Derrick Jones – SF- Archbishop Carroll High School, Philadelphia, PA. Ranked in the top 15 for the Class of 2015. Projects to be a future top 20 pick in NBA draft. Cincinnati, Maryland, Syracuse, Villanova, Kentucky.
4. Carlton Bragg – PF- Villa Angela St. Joseph High School, Cleveland Ohio. Ranked in the top 15 for the Class of 2015. Future top 15 draft pick in NBA draft. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Cincinnati, Texas.
5. Ahmed Hill – Combo Guard- Aquinas High School, Augusta, Georgia. Ranked in the top 20 for the Class of 2014. Projects to be a future NBA draft pick. Alabama, Clemson, UConn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Miami, Marquette, Tennessee, VCU, South Carolina.
6. PJ Dozier- Combo Guard- Spring Valley High School, Columbia SC. Ranked in the top 10 in class of 2015 on ESPN. Future NBA draft pick. Clemson, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio St., South Carolina, UCLA, Tennessee.
7. Stephen Zimmerman-Center- Bishop Gorman Las Vegas, Nev. Scout Number #1 player in the class of 2015. Projected number one draft pick in 2016 in NBA draft. Arizona, UConn, Baylor, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis, Ohio State, UNLV , UCLA.
8. Kelly Oubre-SF-Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nev. Top SF top 10 in class of 2014. Future lottery pick in NBA draft. Alabama, Arizona, Baylor, UConn, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, UCLA, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Louisville.
9. Ladarrius Chester- Combo Guard- Melrose High School, Memphis, TN class of 2014. He’s one of the top sleepers in the country, crazy athletic. Tennessee ,Wichita State, Texas A&M , Murray State.
10. Myles Turner - Center- Trinity High School, Euless, Texas. Ranked in the Top 5 for the class of 2014. NBAdraft.net projects him to be no 1 draft pick in the 2015 draft. Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, UConn, Duke, Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Texas ,UNLV.
11. Khadeem Lattin -Center- Redemption Christian Homeschool Academy, Houston TX. Ranked in the Top 50 for the class of 2014. Last year’s co. MVP for USA team. Alabama, Arizona, Baylor, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M.
12. JaQuan Lyle – Combo Guard- Bosse High School, Evansville, Indiana. Ranked in the Top 20 for the class of 2014. Projects to be a future first round draft pick. Committed to Louisville for college
NYC East team
1. Chris McCullough - PF- Brewster Academy, New Hampshire. Ranked in the Top 10 for the Class of 2014. Future NBA lottery pick. 3 time Big Strick Classic alumni and last year team NYC co MVP. Committed to Syracuse.
2. Isaiah Whitehead-SG- Lincoln High School, Brooklyn, New York. Ranked in the Top 20 for the class of 2014. Best guard in New York City this year. Projects to be a future NBA player and 3 time Big Strick Classic alumni. Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers, St. Johns, Syracuse, UCLA.
3. Thomas Bryant – C- Bishop Kearney High School, Rochester, New York. Ranked in the Top 20 for the Class of 2015. Projects to be a future NBA first round pick. Syracuse, West Virginia, Villanova, UConn.
4. Cheick Diallo- C- Our Savior New American School, Center reach, New York. Ranked in the Top 5 for the Class of 2015. Future lottery pick. Arizona, Iowa St, Kansas, Kentucky, St. John’s, Washington.
5. Rawle Alkins- SG/SF- Christ the King, Queens, New York. Ranked in the Top 20 for the Class of 2016. Compared to Lance Stephenson and Lenny Cooke. Projects to be a future NBA player. Florida, Fordham, Villanova ,Kentucky, Syracuse, St. John’s.
6. Mustapha Heron-SG/SF- Wilbraham and Monson Academy, West Haven, Connecticut. Ranked in the Top 25 for the Class of 2016. Projects to be a future lottery pick if he continues to develop, already seasoned and playing against pros in pro-am. Kentucky, UConn, Florida, Vanderbilt, Syracuse and Providence.
7. Shavar Newkirk- PG- Cardinal Hayes High School, Bronx, New York. Top PG in New York City in 2014. Committed to St. Joe’s.
8. Bashir Ahmed- SG- Going to prep school, still undecided. Big time sleeper, some people say he is best player in New York City Class of 2014. Villanova, Rutgers, Texas A&M , Seton Hall.
9. Rashard Figures- SG- Hackensack High School, New Jersey. Ranked in the Top 5 in state of New Jersey. Florida International, Providence, Villanova, St. Joseph’s , Seton Hall.
10. Terry Larrier- SF- Phelps School, Pennsylvania. Ranked in the Top 40 for the Class of 2014. Is a big time athlete. Arizona St., George Mason, Iona, Maryland, Miami, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Providence, St. John’s, Texas, USC, VCU, West Virginia.
11. Khadeen Carrington – Combo Guard- Bishop Loughlin, Brooklyn, New York. Ranked in the Top 140 for the Class of 2014. UConn, Boston College, Florida St., Iowa, Iowa St., Pittsburgh, Providence, SMU, West Virginia.
12. Isaiah BriscoePG- Undecided on High School for this year, was the top returning guard in the State of New Jersey. Ranked in the Top 20 for the Class of 2015. Future NBA draft pick. Baylor, UConn, Florida, Florida St., Indiana, Miami, Michigan, Ohio St., Syracuse, UCLA.
13. Tyus Battle- SG/SF- Gill St. Bernard School, Edison, New Jersey. Ranked in the Top 15 for the Class of 2016. Projects to be future NBA first round pick and next big thing out of New Jersey. UConn, Indiana, Villanova, Washington, Xavier.
14. Prince Ali- SG- Sagemont School, Florida. Top 30 2015 future NBA draft pick. UConn, Georgia, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Washington.
15. Unique McLean-Combo Guard -Hoosac School, from Brooklyn, NY. Class of 2016. Has a vertical of over 40 inches, he’s a high flyer with a jump shot.