Enough with all the hype, videos, preview and pictures. Today, you can walk into a retail store and put your paws on a pair of the long-awaited primary black/red/white Nike Zoom LeBron 9s. You remember the 9s, right? How could you not. It seems like every day for a month we had news on The King’s new kicks. So, what does the new look feel like?
Lead designer Jason Petrie spoke with SLAM for Ish 153. Here’s a snippet of his comments:
“On the balls of your feet, it feels like a lightweight guard shoe. But there’s also heel protection for when you’re backing down in the paint…For us it’s not about making the lightest shoe out there. It’s about being the strongest, and being able to stand up to [LeBron’s] test of being strong and fast.”
Our friends at Nike help us hit the major bullet points of the shoe below, while you can check out a gallery of every colorway we’ve seen thus far above. Plus, peep a bonus video from Nike, titled “Big Bang,” which suggests LBJ’s new sneaks are the product of another universe. You be the judge.
* The shoe is the first to combine Flywire technology and Hyperfuse construction.
* Built for breathability and durability, the Hyperfuse construction is a composite of three different layers of material that are fused together to create a nearly seamless, one piece upper that sheds considerable weight without sacrificing protection.
* A midfoot harness that wraps around the foot incorporates Flywire 3.0 technology for added strength and lock down support. This lightweight upper mimics the speed and strength symbolic of LeBron’s game.
* The finely-tuned midsole provides a unique hybrid cushioning system. By combining Max Air 180 in the heel for absorption on impact with a Nike Zoom unit in the forefoot for a springy response, a player is protected on impact where they need it most. A composite shank plate provides torsional rigidity and support while reducing midsole weight.
* Signature aesthetic elements include: LeBron’s new logo, his signature on the ventilated tongue and, scripted on the toe, the motto: “What we do in life, echoes in eternity.”
* Additional colorways include:
– the limited edition “Cannon” (hit retail early October)
– College: Kentucky (October 15), Ohio State (November 15) and University of Miami (November 29)
– Previously, a China-specific colorway (October 1)
– Other LEBRON 9 colorways will launch at key moments throughout the year.