Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban thinks it would help the overall health of the game if the NBA moved back the three-point line by about six inches.

Cuban argues that the proliferation of the long-range bomb has led to the death of the mid-range shooter.

The outspoken billionaire knows his suggestions is (*drumroll please…*) a longshot.

Per the Star-Telegram:

“Part of the consideration is not just how our game works, but how kids learn how to play,” Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, said before Friday’s game against Denver. “It has turned into that nobody has a mid-range game coming out [of college] anymore. […] Unless you shoot a 3, you can’t shoot for the most part.”

 

The 3-point line is 22 feet in the corners and 23 feet, 9 inches out front. Cuban believes the game will be healthier if the 3-point line is moved back about six inches, although he wants the distance in the corners to remain the same.

 

“Guys are shooting so far back anyways,” Cuban said. “I think it opens up more so guys with more different skill sets can play. […] It would open up play for more drives, guys with mid-range games will be rewarded and they would stay in the game, there would be more diversity of offensive action in the game. You’ll see a little bit of a decline in the 3. More importantly, it promotes kids learning how to shoot mid-range instead of just bombing the 3s, just because the court would be wider and more open.”