NBA Nation, the world’s “largest mobile basketball playground,” will be tipping off this weekend in Houston. Check the press release from the NBA below for details:
The NBA’s largest mobile basketball playground, NBA Nation presented by T-Mobile, will tip off its fifth summertime tour in Houston on Saturday, April 30 at the “Houston International Festival.”
More than 1 million fans will visit NBA Nation, which will travel more than 10,000 miles making stops in eight NBA cities – Houston, Denver, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami, San Antonio, New York and Washington, DC. The customized 18-wheel NBA Nation truck expands into 20,000 square feet of basketball playground providing free interactive basketball activities, as well as the opportunity to meet NBA Players and Legends.
NBA Legend Darryl Dawkins will serve as the official tour ambassador visiting cities throughout the tour to greet fans, sign autographs and serve as a special judge for select competitions. Along with presenting partner T-Mobile, NBA Nation features associate partners Kia Motors, Sprite and Dribble to Stop Diabetes (an NBA/WNBA/D-League FIT campaign supported by sanofi-aventis U.S. and the American Diabetes Association). The tour provides fans of all ages a variety of free interactive basketball activities on the NBA Nation Center Court and T-Mobile 4G Half Court.
NBA Nation activities include the following:
· T-Mobile 4G Half Court – Fans can take part in competitions and clinics featuring the “T-Mobile 4G Shooters Touch” Game, pitting fans with their family and friends against an opposing team to see who can sink their shots first.
· Kia Performance Challenge – Fans can test their dribbling, passing and shooting skills against the clock.
· Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown – Fans can use their creativity and basketball skills to perform their best dunks before a panel of judges including NBA Nation Ambassador Darryl Dawkins. One winner from each city will receive a $1,000 prize and continue competing for the chance to be crowned the Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown Champion. The runner up in each city will receive $500.
· T-Mobile 4G In Action – Basketball fans will have the opportunity to interact with a number of T-Mobile 4G devices and get their phones engraved with their favorite NBA team’s logo.
· Dribble to Stop Diabetes – Fans will be encouraged to take a diabetes risk test as well as get active by participating in a number of dribbling activities on NBA Nation Center Court.
· T-Mobile VIP Sky Deck – Existing T-Mobile customers will be granted access to the T-Mobile VIP Sky Deck where they can watch the action, listen to deejays spinning the hottest music and enjoy refreshments.
· Measure Up – Fans can measure themselves against life-size replicas of favorite players on the Tall and Short, Arm Span, Walk of Fame and Get-A-Grip displays.
· NBA’s 50 Greatest Plays – Watch historic NBA plays on a 47-inch flat screen.
· Video Arcade – Fans challenge each other to the latest NBA video games aboard the NBA Nation show truck.
NBA Nation tour dates:
April 30 & May 1
Houston International Festival
East Side of Bagby Street, between Dallas and Lamar Streets
May 7 & 8
Cinco De Mayo
“Celebrate Culture” Festival
Broadway between 13th and 14th Avenues
May 14 & 15
Universal CityWalk Hollywood
100 Universal City Plaza
May 28 & 29
Atlanta Jazz Festival
10th St. between Monroe and Charles Allen
June 4 & 5
SW 32nd & Grand Ave
June 10, 11 & 12
Texas Folklife Festival
801 E. Durango Blvd./ Institute of Texan
June 18 & 19
South Street Seaport
Fulton and South Street
June 25 & 26
Safeway Barbecue Battle XIX
13 & 131/2 Pennsylvania Ave
The NBA’s global grassroots programs reach more than 13 million fans annually and aim to promote participation in the game of basketball through clinics, contests, skills competitions and player appearances. Programs include: Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA (international); NBA FIT; NBA Nation; NBA Jam Van (U.S., China and Europe); NBA Madness (Asia, Europe and Latin America); and NBA All-Star Jam Session.