21 Questions: Mid-Month Love
Let’s embrace African-American history as a principal part of American history.
If it was good enough for 50 Cent and Nate Dogg alike, I’m pretty sure it’s exceptionally sufficient for SLAMonline. Regardless of music, 21 Questions with San Dova is taking the task of asking those nebulous questions that seem to revolve around the force of gravity we know to be the NBA. Check for the preguntas at the top of every month or so.
1. How did Josh Smith not make the All-Star Team? (And how did Al Horford get in over David Lee initially?)
2. And didn’t Chris Kaman’s wimpering and whining his way onto the Western Conference All-Star team, after he sorely complained about T-Mac’s projected starting spot (to be fair, Kaman had the right idea), cost Carlos Boozer a rightfully earned spot, who’s now injury-free and actually, you know…winning?!
3. Why does Chris Bosh feel slighted about being the fourth wheel on the LeBron-Wade-Melo tricycle? Doesn’t he know he’s pushing for T-Mac status in the Playoffs, despite his improvement?
4. After some sheepish boasting, why was DeMar DeRozan so lame in the Slam Dunk Contest?
5. For that matter, why were both Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace so tame in that night’s contest as well?
6. Shouldn’t Kobe just sit out for another week or so, and try to heal somewhat completely? Wouldn’t that promote a little more unity for the Lakers?
7. Speaking of Kobe, isn’t his wife, Vanessa Bryant, the all-star looker of all NBA wives?
8. As the MVP “race” goes on, isn’t it clear LeBron is clearly the game’s best player overall?
9. Wasn’t it sort of ironic to see current Nike megastars LeBron and Kobe were all fitted up in adidas over the All-Star Weekend, being that the three stripes was their former brand as youngsters (LeNike as in high school, Kobe in his first seven seasons)?
10. Usher supposedly owns a higher share of the Cavs than Jay-Z does the Nets, so why doesn’t anyone talk about that at all?
11. Why is Shaq bullying Dwight Howard over a nickname Dwight had no control in being given to him? What’s wrong with Dwight being “Superman II” anyway? There were a few different incarnations of Superman in the comics! Isn’t Shaq missing out on some marketing opportunities?
12. Why doesn’t Amar’e actually attempt to play better D? Will he be any different if goes to a contender?
13. Back to Shaq: With all of Shaq’s bickering with members of his former NBA franchises, including a laughable spat with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar about The Big Aristotle being the greatest Laker big man in franchise history, isn’t it more plausible Shaq was the real A-hole who ruined his chances of winning more championships with the Magic and Lakers, and not Anfernee Hardaway or KB8/KB24 being the root problem children?
14. Isn’t it almost downright shameful to watch Kevin Garnett become a seemingly decrepit old man while half-limping up, down, and around the court?
15. Paul Pierce was joking when he dubbed himself as “one of the best shooters in NBA history”, right? Right?
16. Hopefully Allen Iverson’s children and family are OK and well–I want to wish the absolute best with him and his daughter and supporting family members (let me make that absolutely clear)…but with that said, is anyone in the League as needy as him? I mean, really, what’s the deal with all of these personal days and practices off (respective of his illnesses and injuries)? Isn’t that why he had a posse back in the day–to handle a lot of these “personal” issues that pop up with him seemingly every season?
17. Concerning the League’s labor negotiations, why are the owners asking the players’ union to be the virtual indentured servants of all of the major American sports when the owners are consistently the very same knuckleheads who overspend on predictable busts and flameouts every single offseason, ruining their own revenue and net profit margins? Aren’t they the most culpable party in this whole mass revenue loss with the NBA?
18. Wouldn’t the Skills Competition be a little more interesting if LeBron and Kevin Durant were competing in it (in LBJ’s case, more often)?
19. Is the Orlando Magic’s unwillingness to experiment with lineups going to be their undoing in the Playoffs (per Charles Barkley’s sentiments)?
20. How radical are the San Antonio Spurs willing to become in order to keep their thumbnail-sized gap of a window opening for a championship alive?
21. With more than half of the season over and with virtually no hope of any surge for the foreseeable future, does anyone even care what the L.A. Clippers do anymore, except hoping and praying John Wall does not go there?
Sandy Dover is a novelist/writer, artist and fitness enthusiast, as well as an unrepentant Prince fan (for real). You can find Sandy frequently here at SLAMonline, as well as at Facebook, Associated Content and Twitter.