Game Notes: Cornell vs. Wisconsin
The Big Red pretty much dominate Wisconsin.
by Branden Peters / @KUHVET
In the 2nd round matchup between the Wisconsin Badgers and the Cornell Big Red is one few people had on their brackets. The Ivy League champs upset a very tough Temple team in the 1st round while The Badgers survived a scare against 13 seed Wofford.
The teams have never played each other before and it showed on Wisconsin’s behalf. Ryan did not have his guys ready to Guard Cornell’s backcourt at all.
House is pretty empty 10 minutes before tip-off. Both Cornell and Wisconsin’s colors are red and white so it’s difficult to tell who’s rooting for which team.
– ’09-10 Ivy League Player of the Year Ryan Whitman started the quarter off hot for Cornell with 3 straight baskets. This guy can shoot.
– John Leuer broke a 13-0 Cornell run with a made free throw followed by a jumper. He got really hot for about 4 minutes and Cornell wised up and started to double team him. At 11:46 Leuer is the only starter from Wisconsin with a bucket.
– Big Red pull off the double team and Leuer hits a wide open 3.
– At the 10 minute mark Wisconsin has pulled to within 7.
– It’s ironic the Ivy League team appears to be more athletic and faster paced than the Big 10 team.
– Bohannon is feeling it, 2 straight baskets in heavy coverage. He’s picking up the slack for Wisconsin’s leading scorer Trevon Hughes who has had a horrible game (including a blown layup) so far with only 2 points.
– Cornell has answered every Badger run with disciplined play. With 3 minutes to go they lead by 12.
– Freshman Ryan Evans (worst haircut on the floor) hit a very tough turnaround J and draws the foul.
– The Big Red are starting to realize they are the more athletic team. Their guards, especially Dale are taking it to the hole more and playing scrappy defense.
– Hughes finally hits a J for Wisconsin, and turns the ball over the next time down the floor.
– Ryan Whitman is the star of the game with 14 at the half.
– If Trevon Hughes does not find his game Wisconsin won’t be able to climb out of this 12 point hole.
– The Big Red offense looks to be going through Louis Dale. He starts off with a 3pointer, a layup and a free throw.
– After Hughes committed 5 turnovers in the 1st half Coach Ryan has turned over PG duties to Taylor.
– Coach Ryan got a T for running his mouth to the refs. The game is clearly getting out of hand.
– At 12:45 Cornell just took the Badgers heart with a Dale to Jeff Foote alley-oop. Seriously when did Ivy League teams start with the razzle dazzle. Wisconsin is shaming the Big 10.
– Wisconsin has yet to go back to Leuer on the offensive end. He was 5-5 in the first half.
– With 9:31 left to go Cornell is up by 20 behind big games from Louis Dale And Whitman, both with 20 points.
– Freshman G/F Ryan Evans might end up being a very good player for Wisconsin down the road. He’s had some nice moves against Cornell’s front court. He’s listed at 6-6, but he’s probably grown since the beginning of the season because he looks a lot bigger.
– At this point the game has been over. Cornell is having their way with the Badgers.
– I have to give props to the Big Red cheerleaders as well. They only have one guy on the squad and they are still doing all the stunts.
– Wisconsin starts to full court press with 90 seconds left in the game, down by 20. Maybe they should have tried that earlier.
– Cornell calls a timeout with :35 left to put in the bench players.
Final Score: Cornell 87, Wisconsin 69