Succeed at Exceed
A new gym in Manhattan offers users the chance to get in a total body workout at their speed.
A couple of weeks ago I was invited to work out at a new gym in Manhattan called Exceed Fitness. I didn’t get the tie in to SLAM at first, but then the PR person who invited me explained how the TRX work out I’d be put through was incredibly relevant to basketball and that a lot of NBA teams are doing it. Considering that I’m still a little beat up from my Boston Marathon experience from last month, I figured trying a new form of exercise—featuring a little less pounding on my legs—couldn’t hurt.
I found the 45-minute workout—which was lead by a trainer but required nothing more than the TRX strap set and bars to hang it off of—challenging and entertaining, and I’m going to try and get back to the gym to do another soon.
I’ve posted some bullet points about the gym below, as well as a shot of the gym’s interior and a video clip of Celtics Strength and Conditioning Coach Bryan Doo showing how to do one of the key TRX movements—the single-leg squat. If you live in or near the Big Apple (or Exceed’s new location in the Hamptons), check the gym out yourself!
• Established in 2012 to better serve a community committed to fitness
• Encourages clients and potential clients to enjoy being healthy and fit through their workouts
• Philosophy: No limits
• A 4,800-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility that provides customized workouts for its discerning clients
• Equipped with a fitness studio, monkey bars, ropes, balance balls, an indoor sled and track, and cardio equipment, all of which provide customers with a very personalized workout experience
• Founded on the principle of movement training, it combines results-driven classes with expert personal-training attention
• Independent trainers are welcomed and encouraged; a client can work out and bring his/her personal trainers along
• A variety of group classes are available such as multiple forms of TRX, Functional Fitness, Kettlebell, and Reconditioning
• It is a pay-as-you-go fee structure – no memberships
• Pricing starts at $32