21 Questions: ‘It’s The First Of Da Month’
“I only eat January snowflakes.” –Lucy, from Peanuts.
If it was good enough for 50 Cent and Nate Dogg alike, I’m pretty sure that it’s exceptionally sufficient for SLAM. Regardless of music, 21 Questions with San Dova is taking the task of asking those nebulous questions that seem to revolve around the force of gravity we know to be the NBA. Check for the preguntas at the top of every month or so.
1. Why exactly was Vinny Del Negro hired in the first place?
2. Why is Dirk still underrated?
3. Is Carmelo ever going to get the MVP recognition in Denver?
4. What exactly is wrong with a willing and able Tracy McGrady contributing to your team?
5. Why is TJ Ford the loser everywhere he goes?
6. Who would’ve thought that Corey Brewer would come back from injury and actually end up being a real NBA game-changer?
7. Why is Pat Riley pressing on DWade? Doesn’t he see that he’s hurt and playing .500 ball for a hopeless team?
8. Did you ever in your wildest dreams believe that OJ Mayo, Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph would lead a team to relative success?
9. Is Brandon Jennings the new Paul Pierce and Caron Butler (high-quality prospects/10th overall picks talked down about pre-Draft)?
10. Does anyone even care whether the Nets go to Brooklyn? (And does anyone care whether Jay-Z’s even involved at all?)
11. Can any of the critics please apologize for talking so badly about Danilo Gallinari being a bust in his injury-filled rookie season?
12. Chris Paul: Dwyane Wade’s contemporary (losing soon-to-be re-signed superstar) or Chris Bosh’s pint-sized equal (superstar in franchise limbo, ready to go)?
13. Who knew that Jason Williams would still be able to “bring in the noise, bring in the funk” for the Orlando Magic after those hard-to-watch J-Will years in Miami?
14. Why is Elton Brand on the bench? Why is Andre Iguodala getting paid so much for par-for-the-course second banana production? And why is Eddie Jordan not playing his game-changers more minutes?
15. Again: What in the H-E-double hockey sticks is so special about Steve Blake to Brandon Roy and Nate McMillan? Is Blake certifiably the human equivalent of Linus’ blanket from “Peanuts”?
16. Kevin Durant said years ago that he patterns his game after Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett, and sees himself eventually ending up as a face-up and back-to-the basket power forward—is this more scary knowing that he’s still growing and improving vastly?
17. Will Manu peak just in time for the Spurs’ playoff hunt?
18. Chris Bosh: the new Elton Brand (peak performer on a bad team) or the new Pau Gasol (peak performer waiting for a better situation)?
19. Is Deron Williams ever going to be an All-Star in his prime?
20. Why Gilbert? WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY?
21. Other than bringing in Jonas Jerebko, bringing back Ben Wallace, and keeping Will Bynum, what is so special about Joe Dumars?
Sandy Dover is a novelist/writer, artist and fitness enthusiast, as well as an unrepentant Prince fan (for real). You can find Sandy frequently here at SLAMonline, as well as at Associated Content and Twitter.