Maya Moore Debuts as Most Popular WNBA Jersey
Via the WNBA:
Despite only entering the league in April 2011, this year’s WNBA No. 1 Draft pick Maya Moore of the Minnesota Lynx has skyrocketed to the top spot on the WNBA’s list of most popular jerseys. Based on sales on WNBAStore.com from October 2010 through June 2011, the forward’s jersey is the second best-selling for a No. 1 WNBA Draft pick since Candace Parker, who had held the top ranking since October 2008.
Other highlights from the list include New York Liberty guard Essence Carson moving from No. 6 to the No. 3 spot and Tulsa Shock guard Marion Jones debuting on the list at No. 6. For overall team merchandise, new teams emerged in the top 5, including Minnesota (No. 1), the Atlanta Dream (No. 3) and the Indiana Fever (No. 5).
In its 15th season, the WNBA will host its annual All-Star game Saturday, July 23 in San Antonio. Five of the 10 players listed below will be participating in the game.
adidas is in its fifth season as the official oncourt uniform and apparel provider for the WNBA.
TOP 10 MOST POPULAR PLAYER JERSEYS:
1. Maya Moore – Minnesota Lynx*
2. Candace Parker – Los Angeles Sparks*
3. Essence Carson – New York Liberty
4. Lauren Jackson – Seattle Storm
5. Sylvia Fowles – Chicago Sky
6. Marion Jones – Tulsa Shock
7. Diana Taurasi – Phoenix Mercury*
8. Sue Bird – Seattle Storm*
9. Becky Hammon – San Antonio Silver Stars
10. Tina Charles – Connecticut Sun*
*Denotes 2011 WNBA All-Star participant
TOP 5 MOST POPULAR TEAM MERCHANDISE:
1. Minnesota Lynx
2. Seattle Storm
3. Atlanta Dream
4. Los Angeles Sparks
5. Indiana Fever