Anthony believes that his decision to undergo knee surgery will help him perform at an elite level through the remainder of his current contract and beyond.
“I wasn’t a guy who would run straight to surgery for anything. But I think now, [taking] care of this really put me in position to perform at a high level for the next four or five years,” he said.
Anthony also believes that he can play effectively past age 35 because he doesn’t rely on a freakish vertical leap or foot speed to perform.
“If I was a guy who kind of played above the rim and played at a fast pace and just running and jumping — that was my game, very athletic — then I’d probably be sitting here singing a different tune,” Anthony said. “But the way that I play, the way that I know how to pace myself, the way I know how to pick my spots out on the basketball court, I’m not a guy who’s playing above the rim every play so it works in my favor.”
Anthony had surgery in late February to repair a patella injury in his left knee. He said on Saturday that his knee felt pain-free following five days of training camp. Camp included at least three five-on-five scrimmages and two practices per day for at least three days.
Carmelo Anthony Says He Can ‘Perform at a High Level for the Next Four or Five Years’
- Damian Lillard: ‘What is the Challenge or the Fun’ in Joining a Superteam?
- Kevin Porter Jr ERUPTS for 40-Point Triple-Double in Seattle Pro-Am Return 🔥
- Nick Nurse: Pascal Siakam Has Got to Be ‘The Man’ for Toronto
- FOR THE FAMILY: Giannis Antetokounmpo and His Brothers Built the Nike Freak 1
- Minnesota Timberwolves Roster Count: 2019 Training Camp
- Brooklyn Nets Roster Count: 2019 Training Camp
- NBA Roster Counts: 2019 Training Camp
- Gordon Hayward is ‘Back to No Restrictions’
- PJ Tucker: ‘It’s Time for My Extension Right Now’
- De’Aaron Fox: ‘I Don’t Crave to Be in a Big Market’
- Scottie Pippen Talks Basketball in China, Signature Sneakers and More
- Lakers To Work Out Several Free Agent Big Men
- THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED: RJ Hampton Is Blazing His Own Trail to the NBA
- 2019 NBA Rookie Survey Results Revealed
- Jeremy Lin On Beijing Rumors: Nothing Is Official Until I Say Something
- Donovan Mitchell: ‘I Got Drafted Because of My Defense’
- SLAM Summer Classic, Vol 2 Was Legendary 🤯
- D-Wade Watches Bronny James & Zaire Wade’s DEBUT with Sierra Canyon!?