From our friends at Shooting Touch:
The Shooting Touch Sabbatical Program, referred to as “The Basketball Peace Corps,” grants graduating college seniors the opportunity to travel the world and partake in a 10-month international work program using the platform of basketball to help foster education and
influence positive social change in third world communities.
The Grant: Each grantee will be provided with a stipend of $25,000 to fund the entire journey. Each grantee is responsible for managing the budget and allocating all costs throughout the 10-month journey.
The 10-month work program: Each selected grantee will follow the mandatory guidelines below in designing his/her own work program:
(5) months spent in a country of the Grantee’s choice. We provide the list of countries to choose from.
(5) months spent in a country of our choice.
(2) weeks spent working with the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders Program, location determined by NBA.
Applicants from colleges and universities of all levels are welcome to apply. Each student application includes a detailed mission statement and outline of the goals each applicant would like to accomplish throughout the 10-month, self designed program. Upon acceptance, all grantees will be awarded a stipend of $25,000 to fund their experience. Interested American students, graduating in December of 2011 or Spring of 2012, should contact www.shootingtouch.com to download an application for the program. The deadline for applying is 1/31/12. Board of Directors for Shooting Touch, Inc.’s Sabbatical Program include:
- Kenny Atkinson - Assistant Coach of the New York Knicks
- Dee Brown - Former NBA star and 1991 Slam Dunk champion
- Wayne Embry - NBA Hall of Fame Inductee, Former GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Toronto Raptors
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN Basketball Commentator and Analyst
- Danilo Galinari - Starting forward for Denver Nuggets and native Italian.
- 2010 Hall of Famer Coach Bob Hurley Sr. - Legendary high school coach of the 25-time National Champion St. Anthony’s Friars of Jersey City, NJ
- Bobby Hurley Jr - Duke basketball college standout and NBA star for the Sacramento Kings and current coach at Wagner College
- Jackie MacMullan- ESPN Columnist
- Sam Presti- EVP and GM of the Oklahoma City Thunder
- Peter Philo - International scouting coordinator/player personnel for the Minnesota Timberwolves
- Jason Terry - Starting forward for the 2010 Champs Dallas Mavericks.
- Jay Triano – Former Head Coach of the Toronto Raptors and Current Raptors Consultant
“Shooting Touch’s Sabbatical Program is an outstanding way for students to use their passion for basketball and channel it towards making the world a better place,” said Coach Bob Hurley. “It’s the opportunity of a lifetime and anyone fortunate enough to participate will undoubtedly return home a more mature, enriched and passionate person.”
ABOUT SHOOTING TOUCH: Shooting Touch, Inc. is Boston based company that uses the sport of basketball to positively impact the lives of children both on and off the court. With four prominent programs under the company’s parent umbrella, Shooting Touch, Inc. is quickly becoming one of the most influential basketball brands around the world.