Effective as of: May 21, 2021
If you are a Nevada Resident, California Resident, or a data subject in Europe, please see respectively the “Additional Disclosures for Nevada Residents,” “Additional Disclosures for California Residents,” and “Additional Disclosures for People in Europe” sections below. If you have any questions or wish to exercise your rights and choices, please contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section.
I. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
We collect information about you when you visit the Sites, purchase the Products or use the Services, including information you provide when you register an account, update your profile, subscribe to or otherwise access our content, make a purchase, participate in a promotion, contact customer support or otherwise interact with you. The information that we have collected in the last twelve months includes the following:
- Billing and Purchase Information: You may be required to provide certain information to our payment processing service provider(s) when you purchase a Product or use the Services. Such information may include debit card numbers, credit card numbers, expiration dates, billing address, shipping address, activation codes, telephone numbers, and similar information. You authorize these service providers to collect process and store this information. We do not store or process this information. Our payment providers retain and store your information according to their privacy policies, which you may find by clicking:https://www.afterpay.com/en-US/privacy-policy
- Profile Data and Comments: We may collect information including your interests, inferences, preferences, and favorites. We collect information regarding any messages you send (such as feedback and interactions with customer support) or publicly post. You may also choose to voluntarily provide other information to us that we do not request and if you do you are solely responsible for that information.
- Information Collected Automatically: Certain data is automatically collected when you use the Services. These include the following:
- Service Use Data: This includes data about features you use, pages you visit, emails and advertisements you view, Products and Services you view and purchase, the time of day you browse, and your opening and exiting pages.
- Device Data. We collect data about the type of device or browser you use, your device’s operating software, your internet service provider, your device’s regional and language settings, and device identifiers such as IP address and Ad Id.
- Geo-locational Information. Certain features and functionalities of the Services may be based on your location. In order to provide these features and functionalities while you are using a mobile device, we may automatically collect geo-locational information from your mobile device or wireless carrier and/or certain service providers. Collection of this information occurs only when the Services are running on your mobile device. You may decline to allow us to collect such information by adjusting your browser settings, in which case we will not be able to provide certain features or functionalities to you.
We use various tracking technologies to automatically collect information when you use access the Sites, purchase the Products or use the Services, including the following:
- Information from Other Sources We also collect information from other sources. The following are the categories of sources we collect information from:
- Consumers or users of the Services
- Social networks when you engage with our content, reference our Services, or grant us permission to access information from the social networks.
- Publicly-available sources, including data in the public domain.
We also use audience matching services to reach people (or people similar to people) who have visited our Services or are identified in one or more of our databases (“Matched Ads”). This is done by us uploading a customer list to a technology service or incorporating a pixel from technology service into our own Service, and the technology service matching common factors between our data and their data. For instance, we incorporate the Facebook pixel on our Service and may share your email address with Facebook as part of our use of Facebook Custom Audiences. Some technology services may provide us with their own data, which is then uploaded into another technology service for matching common factors between those datasets.
Google provides tools to allow you to opt-out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network at https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/.
To opt out of us using your data for Matched Ads or other third-party sharing for advertising and/or marketing purposes, please contact us as set forth in the “Contact Us” section below and specify that you wish to opt-out of matched ads. We will request that the applicable technology service not serve you matched ads based on information we provide to it.
You may also limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device for purposes of serving targeted ads to you by going to your device settings and selecting “Limit Ad Tracking” (for iOS devices) or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (for Android devices).
For further information on the types of tracking technologies we use on the Services and your rights and choices regarding analytics, Interest-based Advertising, and Matched Ads, please see the “Information Collected Automatically” and “How Can You Control Your Personal Information” sections.
II. WHAT DO WE DO WITH COLLECTED INFORMATION?
We use the personal information you provide for business and commercial purposes. Our business purposes for collecting and using information, including within the last 12 months, includes the following both directly by us and via our partners, Shopify and ShipBob:
- to allow you to make Product purchases including via our partner, Shopify;
- to fulfill your requests, improve our publications, Products and Services;
- to send you promotional offers related to us or our business partners, and to operate our business;
- to provide our Sites, Services and related support;
- to process and ship Product orders;
- to perform services requested by you, such as respond to general inquiries, comments, questions, requests, and provide customer service;
- to send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages;
- to prevent and address fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats or harm;
- to monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities;
- to conduct research, including focus groups and surveys;
- to develop and provide you direct marketing and relevant content on our Sites, Products, and as part of the Services, including advertisements regarding Products and services of ours or other entities, and communications about our and other entities’ Products, offers, promotions, rewards, events, and services;
- to send invoices and receive payments via our partner Shopify;
- to communicate with you regarding our current and future Product and Service offerings;
- to send you advertising;
- to fulfill any other business or commercial purposes at your direction or with your notice and/or consent.
You may, at any time, opt out of receiving promotional offers by mail or e-mail and you may opt out of other collection practices as specified below. You may also, at any time, opt out of receiving promotional offers by SMS or text messaging by texting STOP in reply to the text that you received or using any other method of opting out of such messages that we have notified you about.
We also use collected information to evaluate and administer our Products and Services, respond to any problems that may arise, such as magazine delivery failures, difficulties in navigating our Sites or accessing certain features, as well as to gauge user trends to determine what Products and Services are most popular with users, and to put you in touch with fulfillment partners who can provide services that we cannot. We allow users of our Site to send articles or links by e-mail to other parties who may be interested in them. We do not retain any e-mail addresses of either the sender or recipient of such articles or links after they are sent, and do not share “send a friend” e-mail addresses with third parties.
For more information about the privacy policies of our partners, Shopify and ShipBob, please see their respective privacy policies:
III. HOW DO WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- Sharing Within the SLAM Corporate Family. We may share your personal information with any parent company, subsidiary, or affiliate in the SLAM corporate family. All entities within the SLAM corporate family may have access to your personal information as well as anonymous, aggregate demographic data.
- Service Providers. SLAM may share non personal information with companies that work on behalf of or with SLAM. These companies may use this information to assist SLAM in serving its customers, understanding its consumer market, or devising effective marketing strategies to reach more consumers.
- Credit Card Companies; Third Party Payment Services; Third Party Promotional Sites. As in any transaction, your credit card company will have all relevant information about the name of the vendor, item(s) purchased, and date and total cost. We will not otherwise provide any personal data to your credit card company. We may use third party payment and transaction services to facilitate your transactions and process your orders. In such cases, we will share your personal information and credit card information with the third party payment services solely for the purpose of completing the transaction or processing your order. In some cases, we will share your personal information and credit card information with third parties who may offer you a gift or promotional offer as a result of your use of the Services.
- Public Postings. You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose information, personal or otherwise, online in any community area (whether through the Sites or any other service available online), that information can be collected and used by others. Accordingly, you should use caution when sharing any personal information with others in any community area (whether through the Sites or any other service available online).
- Changes in Corporate Structure. In developing our business, we might sell certain assets, or SLAM, or parts of it, may be sold, merged or otherwise transferred. In such transactions, user information, whether personally identifiable or otherwise, may be one of the transferred assets.
Notwithstanding the above, we may share information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we share information about you, please see “How Can You Control Your Personal Information” section below.
IV. WHAT ABOUT THIRD PARTY ADVERTISERS?
Some of the ads displayed in our Sites are provided by third parties. These ads contain cookies and may also contain web beacons. Unlike cookies and web beacons used by SLAM in content it controls on its Sites, cookies or web beacons received with banner ads are collected by our advertisers and we do not have access to this information. We use third parties to serve some or all of the advertisements that are placed within our Sites and they may use information (not including personally identifiable information) about your visits to our Sites and other sites to assist in serving advertisements to you. These companies may employ cookies, web beacons, and action tags to measure advertising effectiveness. They may share anonymous information with their clients such as date/time of the banner ad shown, the specific ad shown, the IP address, etc. DoubleClick is our primary third party ad server. If you would like to know more about their information gathering practices and “opt- out” procedures, please see https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads/ Other ad networks that may run ads on our Sites include Google AdExchange, Index, AppNexus, openx, AOL, Sovrn, District M, Sonobi, Conversant. More information and “opt out” procedures may be found at:
V. SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATIONS
We offer parts of our Products and Services through websites, apps, platforms, and services operated or controlled by separate entities. In addition, we integrate technologies operated or controlled by separate entities into parts of our Services. Some examples include:
VI. HOW CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We believe that choice in how and when you are contacted is key to customer satisfaction, so we offer several ways for you to update your contact information, change your preferences, or opt out of receiving future communications.
- If you have an online account at our Sites, you may be able to log on and update or change your contact or account information. Check the Sites for further information.
- You may unsubscribe from any of our online e-mail updates or newsletters by following the unsubscribe instructions in the body of any e-mail message. Similarly you may unsubscribe from any promotional or other text messages by following the unsubscribe instruction in the body of any text. Please be aware that some transactional emails and texts relating to your purchase of Products or Services may still be sent to you even if you unsubscribe.
- Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising.
- Google provides tools to allow you to opt-out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network at https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/. The companies we work with to provide you with targeted ads are required by us to give you the choice to opt out of receiving targeted ads. Most of these companies are participants of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about the targeted ads provided by these companies, and how to opt out of receiving targeted ads from them, please visit (i) for website targeted ads from DAA participants, https://www.aboutads.info/choices; (ii) for app targeted ads from DAA participants, https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices; and (iii) for targeted ads from NAI participants, https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Opting out only means that the selected participants should no longer deliver certain targeted ads to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., in connection with the participants’ other customers or from other technology services).
- You may also limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device for purposes of serving targeted ads to you by going to your device settings and selecting “Limit Ad Tracking” (for iOS devices) or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (for Android devices).
- Please note that if you opt out using any of these methods, the opt out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, any opt out options or programs, or the accuracy of any other entities’ statements regarding their opt out options or programs.
- Please be aware that if you disable or remove tracking technologies some parts of the Sites or Services may not function correctly.
- You also may write to us directly if you wish to: (a) update or delete your contact information; (b) ask that we not share your personal information with third parties; or (c) request that we cease sending you promotional or other information via mail or e-mail. Such written requests should be sent to SLAM Media Inc., 1091 Boston Post Rd., Rye, NY 10580; Attention: Legal Department. In those instances, we will retain your information in a “do not promote” file in our database, and you will receive no further communications from us.
If you have opted out of receiving future e-mails from us, we will implement your opt-out request within 10 business days of receiving the opt-out request. If you have opted out of receiving future promotional materials by regular mail, we will implement your opt-out request within a commercially reasonable time.
VII. SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We or our partners such as Shopify use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt important information, such as your credit card data, in an effort to prevent unauthorized access during transmission of your orders over the Internet. We incorporate standard industry practices suitable to the degree of sensitivity of the information involved to maintain the security of your personal information and to avoid its disclosure except as described in this policy. Your personal information may also be protected by the password you created when you registered at one of our Sites where this feature is offered. The confidentiality of any password is yours to protect. You may change it anytime by following the instructions at the Site where you registered. Although we use reasonable and appropriate efforts to assure that your data remains secure when maintained by us, security during Internet transmissions or within any system cannot be assured. SLAM employees are made aware of its privacy practices through periodic communications and training. Remember, however, that we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information, and we are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party.
VIII. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
The Service is intended for a general audience and is not directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly gather personal information (as defined by the US Children’s Privacy and Protection Act, or “COPPA”) in a manner not permitted by COPPA. If you are under the age of 13, please do not give us any personal information. Most of our publications and Sites are intended for adults. Some Sites and publications, however, are intended for teens 13 and older but may include features or material that may be appealing to children under the age of 13. We encourage all parents to talk to their kids about online safety and to monitor their children’s use of the Internet. If you are a parent or guardian and you have reason to believe that we have collected personal information from your child in a manner not permitted by law, please contact us at email@example.com and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases to the extent required by applicable laws.
We do not knowingly “sell,” as that term is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act, the personal information of minors under 16 years old who are California residents.
If you are a California resident under 18 years old and registered to use the Services, you can ask us to remove any content or information you have posted on the Services. To make a request, email us at the email address set out in “Contact Us” section with “California Under 18 Content Removal Request” in the subject line, and tell us what you want removed. We will make reasonable, good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view, although we cannot ensure the complete or comprehensive removal of the content and may retain the content as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
X. HOW TO CONTACT US
Or you can contact us by mail at:
SLAM Media Inc, 1091 Boston Post Rd., Rye, NY 10580
Attention: Legal Department
XI. ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
Nevada law (NRS 603A.340) requires each business to establish a designated request address where Nevada consumers may submit requests directing the business not to sell certain kinds of personal information that the business has collected or will collect about the consumer. A sale under Nevada law is the exchange of personal information for monetary consideration by the business to a third party for the third party to license or sell the personal information to other third parties. If you are a Nevada consumer and wish to submit a request relating to our compliance with Nevada law, please contact us as at firstname.lastname@example.org
XII. ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
- Shine the Light. Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California have the right to obtain certain information about the types of personal information that companies with whom they have an established business relationship (and that are not otherwise exempt) have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, including (i) a list of the categories of personal information disclosed by us to third parties during the immediately preceding calendar year for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes; and (ii) a list of the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such information. If you wish to submit a request pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, please contact us via email at email@example.com and specify that you are making a “California Shine the Light Request.” We may require additional information from you to allow us to verify your identity and are only required to respond to requests once during any calendar year.
XIII. ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR DATA SUBJECTS IN EUROPE
- Data protection laws in Europe distinguish between organizations that process personal data for their own purposes (known as “controllers”) and organizations that process personal data on behalf of other organizations (known as “processors”).
- SLAM acts as a controller with respect to personal data collected as you interact with our Services.
- Lawful Basis for Processing.
- Data protection laws in Europe require a “lawful basis” for processing personal data. Our lawful bases include where: (a) you have given consent to the processing for one or more specific purposes, either to us or to our service providers, partners; (b) processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with you; (c) processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or (d) processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us or a third party, and your interests and fundamental rights and freedoms do not override those interests.
- Your Data Subject Rights
If you are a data subject in Europe, you have the right to access, rectify, or erase any personal data we have collected about you. You also have the right to data portability and the right to restrict or object to our processing of personal data we have collected about you. In addition, you have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (or provide it to third parties to process) for marketing purposes or purposes materially different than for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. You may withdraw your consent at any time for any data processing we do based on consent you have provided to us. Please allow us a reasonable time to respond to your inquiries and requests. You may exercise your rights by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org., and we will respond to your request within 30 days. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your requests. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions.
- Retention of Personal Data
We will retain your personal data in a form that identifies you to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. We may continue to retain and use information even after a data subject request for purposes of our legitimate interests, such as journalism, literature and art, scientific or historical research, statistical analysis, compliance with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, preventing fraud, and enforcing our agreements.
If you have a complaint about our use of your personal data or response to your requests regarding your personal data, you may submit a complaint to the data protection regulator in your jurisdiction. We would, however, appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns before you approach a data protection regulator, and would welcome you directing an inquiry first to us. To do so, please use the contact information located in the Contact Us section above.
Last Update May 21, 2021
© 2021 SLAM Media Inc.