No Major Changes in Orlando This Summer?
The Magic must make decisions on J.J. Redick, Matt Barnes, and Vince Carter heading into next season. GM Otis Smith tells the AP that no major shakeups should be expected in Florida: “Magic general manager Otis Smith wanted to be clear: He’s not looking to overhaul the roster again. Unless he does. One eye on the past and another on the future, the never-afraid-to-take-a-chance general manager doesn’t expect any major moves this offseason. Even after failing to return to the NBA finals, Smith believes Orlando already has the roster to win its first championship. ‘We’re not a team that’s that far away, so I can’t sit here and say, ‘Yeah, we’re going to make all these drastic changes because we’re miles away,’ Smith said Monday. ‘We’re not miles away. We’re not at the bottom third of our league. We’re at the top of our league. And with that said, we have to do things diligently and with the understanding of the aspect that we’re putting the team-slash-puzzle together and that everything is going to have to fit.’ Of course, that’s what he said last year. Then Smith made the bold move to part ways with Hedo Turkoglu — and starters Courtney Lee and Rafer Alston — and acquire Vince Carter from New Jersey. That decision may not have cost the Magic a title this season, but it wasn’t enough to win one.”