First of all, I need to apologize for an omission yesterday. I left something out of The Links because I was planning on doing an entire post about it, but then I didn’t have a chance to get back to it yesterday afternoon, so let’s just cover it here:
Eddy Curry is going to be an All-Star. This year. I mentioned it last week, and now we’re going to lead the bandwagon. By hook or by crook, EC will be an AS. Come on all you bloggers out there, let’s all get on this and harness the power of the internet to make something big happen. This is not just SLAMonline’s project — although I’m going to be all over this between now and All-Star — but it should be everyone’s project. Don’t make me start sending out emails to everyone with a blog. This should be viral, much like Eddy’s nefarious post game.
I understand there’s no way Curry will be voted in (thanks a lot, Shaq), which means it’s all up to the coaches. Which means the only real impact we can have is in the court of public opinion. And look at his digits: 18.3 points per, 7.6 rebounds per, and at least 20 points in each of the last 10 games. And look at his numbers among all the centers in the NBA: second overall.
I also get that he’s not the most graceful player, that he probably leads the League in offensive fouls, that in the NBA of the ’80s he’d probably be a reserve player. And heck, you might not even like Eddy, which is fine. But can’t we just have some fun for once? How great would it be to see Eddy go to Vegas and have just one of Isiah’s moves validated?
So let’s get the talk started and create some chatter. I’ve made a page for this campaign here on SLAMonline.com (bookmark it!) where I’m going to try and post daily updates, and I had our art department create this spiffy logo. Bloggers and online people, please feel free to steal this logo and use it on your sites. Anything for the good of Eddy.
For once, all us interneters should unite and get on board the same train…the E-Train!
In other news…this Iverson guy is apparently on the trading block.
So let’s get to it…
QUOTES OF THE DAY
“That’s the biggest crap I’ve ever seen.” — Bernie Bickerstaff, on reports that the BETcats were close to getting Iverson.
“I’m not worried about it, but I don’t want to go. If I leave, I’m going to handcuff myself to the bus and say, ‘I don’t want to go.'” — Al Jefferson, on the possibility of being traded by the Celtics.
• All about AI: The Daily News says the Warriors are leading the way ….. The Celtics might be out of the deal, because the asking price is too high ….. The Nuggets are alive in talks, although they won’t include Camby in a deal ….. The Clippers won’t include Shaun Livingston ….. The Kings say they’re definitely out of the running ….. Sam Smith writes at length about AI, then bashes his own newspaper at the end …..
• Oh no! Sam Mitchell’s job could be in jeopardy. What will Quotes Of The Day do without him?
• And Knicks owner Jim Dolan emerged to say Isiah Thomas’s job is not in jeopardy.
• Is the new/old ball switch only temporary?
• Am I the only one who finds it a little creepy whenever athletes refer to the gameball as their “girlfriend”? Rip, find a new metaphor.
• I watched that Hawks/Nuggets game last night, which turned out to be a laugher, but the highlight was this.
• The BETcats fired one of the better media relations people in the NBA.
• Damon Stoudamire says the Grizz need more team pride. Pau Gasol probably wouldn’t hurt, either.