Kerr’s agent, former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, is still negotiating with the Knicks but the two sides are optimistic that a deal would be in place early this week. The plan is to have Kerr accompany Knicks president Phil Jackson to Chicago for the NBA draft combine that begins Thursday.
Kerr has been Jackson’s one and only choice since Jackson agreed to run the Knicks two months ago. Jackson and Kerr met face-to-face in New York two weeks ago and have been in daily contact over the telephone.
Although Kerr, a former GM of the Phoenix Suns, has no previous coaching experience, making the jump from the booth to the sidelines is not unprecedented. Doc Rivers and Mark Jackson made the seamless transition.
Jackson prefers Kerr because the Knicks president has previously coached him in Chicago and has remained close to him over the years. Kerr will also run the triangle offense, the system Jackson made famous while winning 11 NBA titles with the Bulls and Lakers.
Kerr has been linked to jobs with the Warriors — who fired Mark Jackson last week — as well as the Lakers and Jazz. And even though Kerr, who lives in San Diego, has expressed a desire to remain close to home, the allure of working with Jackson, a Hall of Fame coach, is why Kerr would rather coach the Knicks.
Jackson fired Mike Woodson as well as the entire coaching staff five days after the Knicks’ season ended. If Kerr does join the Knicks, he and Jackson will work together to assemble a coaching staff.
Jackson has already met with former Knick Bill Cartwright about joining the organization.
Report: Steve Kerr Close to Becoming the New York Knicks’ Head Coach
- John Wall Unlikely To Play During 2019-20 Season
- Tim Duncan To Join Spurs’ Coaching Staff
- RARE AIR: Kia Nurse Is Living Out Her Dream with Jordan Brand
- Wizards To Offer Bradley Beal Max Extension
- LaMelo Ball TORCHES Drew League with Unlimited Range! 🎯
- Chris Paul Exclusive Workout at CP3 Elite Camp in North Carolina! 🔥
- Trae Young Drops 31 Points in Drew League Debut! 🤯
- Kyree Walker Wants all the SMOKE! 💨 Dream Vision vs. Urban Elite!
- Lakers Claim Kostas Antetokounmpo Off Waivers
- ‘Gonna Look Like a Travel But It’s Not’: James Harden Working on New Move
- Kyle Korver, Milwaukee Bucks Agree To One-Year Deal
- Bucks Agree To Two-Way Deal With Frank Mason III
- Wizards Name Tommy Sheppard General Manager
- Mavericks Waive Kostas Antetokounmpo
- Karl-Anthony Towns: Tom Thibodeau’s Player Development a ‘Slap in the Face’
- Pacers Agree To Deal With Justin Holiday
- NBA Veteran Kosta Koufos To Become Highest Paid American In EuroLeague
- Magic Agree To Re-Sign Amile Jefferson On One-Year Deal