We’ve summarized what Boston Celtics fans can expect from their squad in terms of salary cap space this offseason. Below you’ll find lists of the players expected back on the roster, the team’s potential free agents and a number of insights about questions the franchise will face before the 2021 campaign.
In addition to a summary for each of the 30 teams (accessible in the link grid below), we’ve also tiered the top NBA free agents league-wide and published a general comparison of all teams’ cap space. Follow @SLAMnewswire on Twitter for constant offseason updates as we head into free agency.
Projected Roster Players
|Gordon Hayward||$34,187,085||UFA, PO|
|Enes Kanter||$5,005,350||UFA, PO|
|Semi Ojeleye||$2,023,150||RFA, TO, Non-Guaranteed|
Projected Free Agents
|Tacko Fall||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – RFA, 2W|
|Brad Wanamaker||$1,820,564||Cap Hold – RFA|
|Tremont Waters||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – RFA, 2W|
2020 NBA Draft Picks
|2020 Pick #14||$3,458,400|
|2020 Pick #26||$2,035,800|
|2020 Pick #30||$1,936,440|
|2020 Pick #47||No Cap Hold|
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception – $5,718,000
- Bi-Annual Exception – $3,623,000
Key Offseason Decisions
- Will Gordon Hayward pick up his player option? If not, can Boston re-sign Hayward to a long-term deal at a lower starting salary than $34.2 million?
- Will Jayson Tatum sign a max contract extension? Currently, Tatum is eligible for the standard max extension, but he could qualify for a Designated Player Extension if he makes All-NBA again in 2021.
- Will Danny Ainge package together some of Boston’s three first-round draft picks in a trade? The Celtics will have a hard time adding more rookies to the roster, after adding seven rookies in 2019-20.
Projected Team Salary
The Celtics projections are fairly straight forward. Given the uncertain market and very few teams projected to have cap space, Gordon Hayward will reportedly exercise his Player Option. Enes Kanter is probable to do the same. Semi Ojeleye has proven to have value to Boston, so it’s likely they will pick up their Team Option for him as well. With Boston positioned to be over the cap, and liking their free agents, it’s expected the team will make Brad Wanamaker and both Two-Way players (Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters) restricted free agents as well. (@KeithSmithNBA)
Cap Space Forecast
-$45,501,545 (18th out of 30). $5,503,123 over the Luxury Tax.