We’ve summarized what San Antonio Spurs fans can expect from their squad in terms of salary cap space this offseason. Below you’ll find lists of the players expected back on the roster, the team’s potential free agents and a number of insights about questions the franchise will face before the 2021 campaign.
In addition to a summary for each of the 30 teams (accessible in the link grid below), we’ve also tiered the top NBA free agents league-wide and published a general comparison of all teams’ cap space. Follow @SLAMnewswire on Twitter for constant offseason updates as we head into free agency.
Projected Roster Players
|Trey Lyles||$5,500,000||$1,000,000 Guaranteed|
|Lonnie Walker IV||$2,892,000||Guaranteed|
Projected Free Agents
|Marco Belinelli||$7,600,000||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Matt Costello||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Dante Cunningham||$2,984,400||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Drew Eubanks||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – RFA, 2W|
|Bryn Forbes||$5,462,500||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Darrun Hilliard||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Joffrey Lauvergne||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|David Lee||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Ben Moore||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Donatas Motiejunas||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Jakob Poeltl||$11,264,657||Cap Hold – RFA|
|Quincy Pondexter||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Quinndary Weatherspoon||$1,445,697||Cap Hold – UFA, 2W|
2020 NBA Draft Picks
|2020 Pick #11||$4,033,440|
|2020 Pick #41||No Cap Hold|
Projected Waived Players
|Tyler Zeller||UFA – Waived|
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception – $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception – $3,623,000
Key Offseason Decisions
- Will DeMar DeRozan pick up his player option at $27M? At midseason there was reporting that DeRozan would decline his option and look to move on from San Antonio. A lot has changed since then. With so few teams poised to have cap space in an uncertain market, it’s now more likely DeRozan opts in for 2021.
- Can San Antonio reach an agreement with Jakob Poeltl on a new contract before having to match an offer sheet? There are few impact centers in this free agent class, and even fewer are as young as Poeltl. Any of the cap space teams could use him. That could force the Spurs to have to match richer contract than they would have offered outright.
- Will the Spurs sign Derrick White to a contract extension? San Antonio prefers to lock their players up when they can. They signed Dejounte Murray to a four-year, $64M deal that starts this upcoming season. White and Murry overlap position, but have shown they can also play together. Look for San Antonio to try to get him to sign a similarly team-friendly extension.
Projected Team Salary
The Spurs are the Spurs. They probably won’t do anything flashy, but whatever they do will work. Injuries caused them to fall off this past season, but they’ll be right back in the mix in 2021. Look for them to try to lock up Derrick White to a team-friendly extension like the one Dejounte Murray signed. Then San Antonio will hit the free agent bonanza in 2021 with only Murray and White making double-figure salaries. (@KeithSmithNBA)
Cap Space Forecast
-$50,457,732 (24th out of 30). $13,295,284 under the Luxury Tax.