We’ve summarized what Orlando Magic fans can expect from their squad in terms of salary cap space this offseason. Below you’ll find lists of the players expected back on the roster, the team’s potential free agents and a number of insights about questions the franchise will face before the 2021 campaign.
In addition to a summary for each of the 30 teams (accessible in the link grid below), we’ve also tiered the top NBA free agents league-wide and published a general comparison of all teams’ cap space. Follow @SLAMnewswire on Twitter for constant offseason updates as we head into free agency.
Projected Roster Players
|James Ennis III||$2,130,023||UFA, PO|
|Evan Fournier||$17,150,000||UFA, PO|
|Melvin Frazier Jr.||$1,663,861||RFA, TO|
Projected Free Agents
|Arron Afflalo||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|D.J. Augustin||$13,775,000||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Michael Carter-Williams||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Gary Clark||$1,820,564||Cap Hold – RFA|
|Jerian Grant||$7,917,942||Cap Hold – UFA|
|Wesley Iwundu||$2,023,150||Cap Hold – RFA|
|B.J. Johnson||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA, 2W|
|Vic Law||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA, 2W|
|Marreese Speights||$1,620,564||Cap Hold – UFA|
2020 NBA Draft Picks
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception – $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception – $3,623,000
Key Offseason Decisions
- Will Evan Fournier opt in? Fournier is coming off his best season, which is normally a guarantee a player will opt out. Unfortunately for Fournier, it’s not a great market to be a free agent. That puts it in question if Fournier will opt in for $17.1M for 2021.
- Do the Magic try to sign Markelle Fultz to an extension? Fultz hasn’t lived up to the promise of being the first overall pick, but he has made great strides in Orlando. If the Magic can lock Fultz up on a team-friendly deal, they’ll do so. Otherwise, he’ll play it out and hit restricted free agency in 2021.
- What happens with extension talks for Jonathan Isaac? Isaac was likely to get a healthy, but non-max extension. Now, he’s probably going to miss the 2021 season and is yet to turn in a full season in the NBA. Like Fultz, his talent is such that Orlando should lock him up to a team-friendly extension if they can. If not, like Fultz, he’ll be restricted in 2021.
Projected Team Salary
If Evan Fournier is back, Orlando will probably bring back a similar team. They may lose D.J. Augustin, as re-signing him will bring them closer to the luxury tax than is probably comfortable. Expect the Magic to add 2019 first round pick Chuma Okeke to the roster for the 2021 season. After that, the remaining big items to watch are extension talks for Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac. (@KeithSmithNBA)
Cap Space Forecast
-$48,225,714 (21st out of 30). $18,234,834 under the Luxury Tax.