Despite losing their franchise star, the Bucks managed to hold on and see another day. Could Milwaukee have something to build off heading forward and could it possibly be enough to creep back into their series? They weren’t the only top seed to avenge previous losses with big wins today.
Here are the highlights from Sunday.
No. 1 Bucks 118 at No. 5 Heat 115 (OT)
MIA leads series 3-1
The Bucks needed to shown signs of life in their second-round matchup with the Heat and did exactly that despite the early loss of their token superstar. After scoring 19 points in 11 minutes, Giannis Antetokounmpo re-aggravated the ankle injury he sustained but played through in Game 3. The Greek Freak stayed on the court to shoot his free throws so that he’d be eligible to return but was ultimately ruled out for the contest. Without their leader, the Bucks turned to All-Star running mate Khris Middleton, who finished the game with 36 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists. Yes, the game went to a five minute overtime but it’s worth noting that Middleton ended up logging 48 minutes in the contest, a far cry from the capped workload he had been seeing earlier this series. Mike Budenholzer may have no choice but to break his minute restriction philosophy for the rest of the series.
No. 4 Rockets 117 at No. 1 Lakers 109
Series tied 1-1
The Lakers looked poised to mop the floor with the Rockets after the first quarter of their Game 2 matchup but Houston held on long enough to eventually put together a rally. James Harden and Houston’s supporting cast made the game competitive but, despite narrowing the gap, they could never quite recapture the magic of their upset win the last time out. Russell Westbrook shot just .267 from the field for 10 points, while Los Angeles’ duo of LeBron James and Anthony Davis fired on all cylinders.
- Sep. 5: Post Up: Nuggets Cruise to Tie
- Sep. 4: Post Up: Rockets Over Power In Second Round Debut
- Sep. 2: Post Up: The Close-Out Closeout
- Sep. 1: Post Up: Nuggets Grind Through Game 7
- Aug. 31: Post Up: The Jimmy Butler Effect
- Aug. 29: Post Up: A Guard Duel For The History Books
- Aug. 24: Post Up: Thunder Rally Back
- Aug. 23: Post Up: Where Luka Happens
- Aug. 22: Post Up: Lakers Hit Next Level
- Aug. 21: Post Up: Kawhi Carries Clippers
- Aug. 20: Post Up: The Empires Strike Back
- Aug. 19: Post Up: The Cavalry Has Arrived
- Aug. 18: Post Up: Crazy Eights
- Aug. 17: Post Up: Donovan Mitchell Makes History